How We Do It
Good Things Happen at
Rise & Shine
The curriculum and services encompass extraordinary depth and breadth. Not only do students receive academic tutoring; they also participate in numerous activities related to cultural enrichment, the arts, and digital literacy. Older students learn youth empowerment and give back through peer mentoring and servant-leadership training.
- Our Guided Reading program teaches kids to become independent, strategic readers with in-depth comprehension. Lesson plans sharpen decoding skills, expand vocabulary, increase fluency, and call upon higher-level thinking skills. Our scholars' teachers often write to thank us for the difference they see in students' performance.
- The Science, Technology, Engineering, the Arts, and Mathematics (STEAM) program exposes students to hands-on lessons, from outdoor ecological adventures to examining fingerprints; from designing, developing, and editing digital movies to building and launching model rockets; and from dissecting owl pellets to nurturing their own crops in the community garden.
- With the carefully structured academic focus of our after school program, scholars participate in 10 hours of schooling a day.
- Homework Coaches assist with questions and problems and help scholars review their completed assignments in Reading and Mathematics.
- Far from simply being tutors, our volunteers cultivate meaningful cross-cultural relationships. Building these connections fosters understanding between genders, among races, and across generations.
- Our Racial Equity program confronts racism head-on. Working with the local school system, we train teachers and administrators and foster long-term, institutional transformation. R&S staff and volunteers participate in multiple anti-racism trainings throughout the year.
- The Rise & Shine Parents Organization fosters involvement in and commitment to children's healthy development. Parents meet monthly and volunteer many hours of service each year.